NDAROINI // KENYA

NDAROINI // KENYA

Regular price $19.00

For a while, coffees from Kenya were considered some of the most celebrated and desirable available. But recently many Kenyan farmers began abandoning coffee, feeling it was no longer financially sustainable. In 2018, after witnessing several years of diminishing quality and export quantity, our importer embarked on a research project in Nyeri, Kenya to figure out what was happening. After talking to the Ndaroini coffee farmers directly for the first time, they discovered a broken supply chain. Farmers would deliver their coffee to the Ndaroini washing station, where it was then delivered to a dry mill, moving on to an exporter, then an importer before reaching the roaster. The problem was the mill, exporter, importer, and the marketing agent involved were all owned by the same multinational corporation. The Ndaroini farmers had no ability to negotiate the price or payment terms. Furthermore, farmers were only paid 10% of the purchase price of their harvest up front with the remaining 90% paid 5-8 months later.  After this discovery, our importer, to alleviate these issues, partnered up with the newly formed Ndaroini Coffee Ltd, owned by the approximately 1400 farmers in the area. Through a new partner exporter, Ndaroini Coffee now sells directly to our importer who in 2019 bought the entire Ndaroini harvest - paying nearly double what the farmers had been paid in the past, in addition to paying for improvements for their washing station. By abandoning the old system, the farmers finally have a voice in the price they are paid for their harvests. Increased prices and timely payments to the farmers has given them the ability and desire to reinvest in their crops, increasing yields and giving them hope that coffee farming can offer a viable future. Ndaroini is a vibrant coffee with flavors of citrus, chamomile, and black currant.

Region – Nyeri
Varietals – SL28, SL34
Process – Washed